Risk Advisory Services
Ivan has extensive experience in anti-money laundering, USA PATRIOT Act, Bank Secrecy Act, OFAC, FCPA, and internal corporate investigations and compliance matters.
Ivan Garces chairs Kaufman Rossin’s risk advisory services practice and co-leads the firm’s banking practice. He brings clients more than 20 years of public accounting experience, and provides risk management, governance, forensic accounting and regulatory compliance consulting services to private and publicly traded companies and financial institutions throughout the United States, Mexico, Central America, South America and the Caribbean.
He has extensive experience evaluating risk management programs, internal controls, anti-fraud and anti-money laundering programs, USA PATRIOT Act, Bank Secrecy Act, Office of Foreign Assets Control and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act compliance programs. Ivan has assisted numerous companies and financial institutions respond to regulatory enforcement actions related to such matters. Ivan has conducted internal investigations into alleged asset misappropriation, financial reporting, money laundering and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act violations. He has also provided expert testimony for the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida.
A frequent speaker at industry events and panels, Ivan has been quoted in financial news and trade publications including the Wall Street Journal, USA Today, South Florida Business Journal, American Banker and Compliance Week.
He earned a bachelor's degree in accounting and a master's degree in taxation from Florida International University. He is bilingual in English and Spanish.
He is a Certified Public Accountant in Florida, Certified Fraud Examiner, Certified in Financial Forensics and Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist.
Ivan is a board member of the Florida International Bankers Association’s executive committee, and is the immediate past president of the South Florida Chapter of the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners. He is a member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants, Association of Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialists, the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners and Cuban-American CPA Association.
- Gauging Company Culture Using Internal Audit
- This Sunny Florida Town Has a Shady Reputation for Fueling America’s Illegal Drug Trade
- Deregulation: What Many Bankers Have Been Waiting For
- Former Con-Man Frank Abagnale Talks Fraud Prevention at ACFE/IIA Conference
- Kaufman Rossin in the Community: Communities in Schools
- South Florida Banks File More 'Red Flag' Reports than Other Florida Banks, Report Shows
- Squeezed: Banks Have No Easy Path on De-Risking
- Miami Money Laundering 101
- Part 2 - License to Launder: Cash, Cops and the Cartels
- License to Launder: Cash, Cops and the Cartels
- CFPB Mortgage Changes Would Boost American Homeownership
- 700 Miami Businesses Targeted by FinCEN Order
- 700 South Florida Electronics Companies Under Scrutiny for Drug Laundering
- 700 Miami Businesses Under Dragnet for Money Laundering
- FinCEN Targets 700 Miami Exporters in AML Crackdown
- AML Efforts Face Renewed Focus on SARs, Beneficial Ownership Data
- Podcast: Banks Double Down on AML Compliance
- Compliance Officers Discuss BSA/AML Challenges at Banking Roundtable
- Kaufman Rossin's Ivan Garces Appointed to FIBA Board of Directors
- Does Your Customer’s Money Arrive in an Armored Car?
- Bank Mergers, Acquisitions Likely to Stay Sluggish into 2013
- Legal Services of Greater Miami, Inc. "Together, We Must" Campaign Leadership Committee
- Kaufman Rossin CPAs Named South Florida Legal Guide's Top CPAs
- TD Bank expert says bank looked at Rothstein alerts
- Combating Money Laundering: Do More Than Just Go Through the Motions
- What Lessons Learned From The Great Recession?
- Capital Sources: Record year of penalties sheds light on OFAC
- Capital Sources: Banks Urged to Step up Vigilance
- Capital Sources: Balancing Anti-Terror Rules with Client Convenience
- Are you at risk for fraud? (If you're in business, the answer's yes.)
- Assembling the Right Team Can Prevent Investigation from Spinning Out of Control