Michael Crain, CPA, ABV, CFA, CFE
Senior Advisor, Forensic, Advisory and Valuation Services
Ft. Lauderdale(954) 713-7442
Dr. Michael Crain is a senior advisor in Kaufman Rossin’s forensic, advisory and valuation services department.
He is currently the director of Florida Atlantic University’s Center for Forensic Accounting and has taught at FAU beginning in 2008. At Kaufman Rossin, he consults with clients and their lawyers and works with firm personnel in the forensic accounting, economic damages, and valuation areas. Michael testifies in courts of law as an expert witness with experience in both Federal and state courts, and arbitration panels.
Michael has more than 35 years of experience as a practicing CPA with particular expertise in forensic accounting, economic damages, and business valuation. He previously worked in the auditing and consulting areas at several public accounting firms, including an international firm where he was appointed senior manager. Dr. Crain has served as a consultant and testifying expert in many commercial cases, working for both plaintiffs and defendants in state and Federal courts. He has also served as an arbitrator in commercial damages and minority shareholder cases and as a court-appointed accountant. In addition, Michael has served as a special investigator on behalf of the county attorney and the board of county commissioners for a Florida county government. He was previously approved as an arbitrator for the American Arbitration Association's Commercial Panel.
He is a member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA), the Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants (FICPA), the CFA Institute, and the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners. He has also been an author, co-author, and contributing author of professional books and journal articles.
Michael has a doctorate in business administration (finance) from Manchester Business School in England at the University of Manchester.
Doctor of Business Administration, Finance, University of Manchester
Master of Business Administration, Bellarmine University
Bachelor of Science, Accounting, Bellarmine University
- Digital forensics and data analytics, Broward Economics Crimes Association meeting, 2018
- Anti-money laundering investigations and forensic accounting, U.S. Department of Treasury and Florida Atlantic University, Forensic Accounting and Cyber Investigations Conference, 2018
- Economic crime, Universidad Nacional de Tres de Febrero, 2018
- The essentials of CAPM beta, Financial Consulting Group association annual conference, 2018
- International cost of capital, American Society of Appraisers, Advanced Business Valuation and International Appraisers Conference, 2018
- Cost of capital—Practical approaches and tools, Financial Consulting Group association annual conference, 2019
- Recent developments in cost of capital and nuances of ‘g’ in DCF Models, Praxity Global Alliance of Independent Accounting Firms, 2019
- Recent developments in cost of capital, FICPA Valuation, Forensic Accounting and Litigation Services Conference, 2020
- Data analytics on 15,000 wire transfers case, U.S. Department of Treasury and Florida Atlantic University, Forensic Accounting and Money Laundering Detection/ Disruption Conference, 2020
- Uses and Abuses of Cryptocurrency, U.S. Department of Treasury and Florida Atlantic University, Cryptocurrency Conference, 2021
- Case Study—Use of Statistics in a Lost Profts Case, Kentucky Society of Certified Public Accountants, Forensic Accounting and Litigation Conference, 2021
- Applying Regression Analysis to Valuation and Forensic Engagements, Kentucky Society of Certified Public Accountants, Forensic Accounting and Litigation Conference, 2021
- Using Statistics to Quantify Lost Profit Damages? Then Do it Right!, Virginia Society of Certified Public Accountants, Forensic Accounting and Valuation Services Conference, 2021
- Using Statistics to Quantify Lost Pro?t Damages? Then Do it Right!, FICPA, Forensic Accounting and Litigation Services Conference, 2022
- U.S. Department of Treasury and Florida Atlantic University, Forensic Accounting and Asset Forfeiture/ Asset Protection Conference, Divorce: Detecting and Protecting Assets, 2022
- Uses and Abuses of Cryptocurrency—The 2022 Edition, U.S. Department of Treasury and Florida Atlantic University, Cryotocurrency Conference, 2022