Jennifer Newton, JD
Consumer Financial Services Compliance
Jennifer Newton is a former Federal Financial Services Regulator from the U.S. Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) and brings clients more than a decade of consumer compliance management and risk advisory experience. With her combined experience in the federal government, law firm, and in-house compliance positions, Jennifer offers an uncommonly broad range and depth of consumer compliance expertise in banking and financial service matters.
She regularly consults with clients on complex issues relating to the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA), Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), Home Mortgage Disclosure Act (HMDA), the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA) and the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). She also guides clients on deposit and consumer lending issues under the Unfair Deceptive Abusive Acts and Practices Act (UDAAP), the Truth in Savings Act (TISA), Regulation CC, the CARD Act, Truth in Lending Act (TILA), Equal Credit Opportunity Act (ECOA), the Community Reinvestment Act (CRA) and the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA). In addition, Jennifer works with clients on privacy and financial technology (fintech) matters involving data security, data breach, open banking, and payment system issues under the Electronic Fund Transfer Act (EFTA), the Global Data Privacy Regulation (GDPR) and federal and state privacy laws, including the GLBA, HIPAA, ADA, CFAA, FCRA and the Florida FIPA.
Well-respected by her peers, Jennifer has been featured in publications such as the American Banker, Bankrate, and JDSupra and regularly speaks at prominent industry conferences. Jennifer was named by Legacy Magazine as one of South Florida's Most Powerful and Influential Black Leaders and selected for inclusion in the National Black Lawyers’ “Top 40 under 40” in Banking and Finance in 2016, 2017 and 2018. She is a fellow of the American Bar Foundation and a member of Leadership Florida's Connect Class VIII and the Florida Bar William Reece Smith Jr. Leadership Academy Class V. Jennifer currently serves as an adjunct professor for Nova Southeastern Shepard Broad College of Law, as the Vice Chair of the American Bar Association’s Consumer Financial Services Committee’s pro bono subcommittee, the Chair of the Social Media and Outreach subcommittee of the Florida Bar Consumer Protection Law Standing Committee, and on the board of directors of nonprofits in South Florida.
- Juris Doctor, Loyola University,
- Bachelor of Science, Sociology and Interdisciplinary Social Science, Florida State University,
- Trends and Changes in CRA, Fair Lending & HMDA, Central Florida Compliance Association , 2018
- CRA Reform, Fair Lending, & Other Hot Topics , South Florida Compliance Association , 2018
- Doing Well By Doing Good: Public/Private Partnerships, Moderator of “Best Practices” Panel , Florida Bar Annual Convention , 2018
- Consmer Compliance Management: Understanding the Basics and Meeting Regulatory Expectations , ABA Business Law Section Spring Meeting , 2017
- To Decline or to Accept? – Scrutinizaing CFPB’s New Arbitration Rule Proposal, Knowledge Group LIve Webcast , 2016
- The CFPB Guidance on Private Mortgage Insurance Cancellation and Termination: Is Your Firm Comliant? , Knowledge Group Live Webcast , 2016
- CFPB Alerts: Arbitration Clauses in Consumer Financial Products; Amendments to Mortgage Servicing Rules; Other Developments that Can Affect Your Practices, Annual Credit Union Round TAble, 2016
- Maximizing Your Judicial Internship , ABA – Section of Litigation – Judicial Intern Opportunity Program , 2016
- Forging through Florida’s Foreclosure Crisis , Florida Housing Coalition Public Policy Plenary , 2012
- In Case You Missed It: Regulators Share Insights at FBA Consumer Compliance Seminar
- Keep Watch on These Bills Affecting Consumer Financial Services
- How Open Banking Could Change The Financial Services Industry
- Banks Strain to Satisfy Competing AML, Data Protection Rules
- Kaufman Rossin Names Director for Expanding Consumer Financial Services Compliance Practice