R&D Tax and Cost Segregation Services
Louis Guay oversees Kaufman Rossin’s research and development tax and cost segregation service lines. Leveraging his industrial engineering experience, he helps clients qualify for and capture R&D and other specialized tax credits.
With the R&D tax credit’s recent permanency and application to startups, Louis provides R&D tax services to both established businesses and early stage companies in South Florida’s burgeoning startup scene. He assists clients across several industries, including aerospace, banking, biotechnology, construction, food and beverage, healthcare, manufacturing and technology.
His expertise includes the federal Credit for Increasing Research Activities (aka R&D tax credit) in the U.S. and the Scientific Research & Experimental Development (SR&ED) program in Canada.
As a leader of the firm’s cost segregation practice, Louis manages a specialized team focused on assisting clients in accelerating the depreciation of portions of their real estate investments. Louis and his team conduct engineering-based cost segregation studies to help provide significant tax savings for real estate developers and investors constructing, renovating or buying commercial real estate.
Before joining Kaufman Rossin in 2014, Louis was a senior manager at a Big Four firm. He has authored articles about the R&D tax credit in news and trade publications, including The Miami Herald and Small Biz Daily. He is bilingual in English and French.
- Bachelor of Science, Industrial Engineering, Polytechnique of Montreal,
- Master of Business Administration, International Business, Florida International University,
- Leverage Cost Segregation for Significant Tax Deferrals
- Looming Tax Changes Amplify Cost Segregation Benefit for Real Estate
- The Strategy That Can Save Real Estate Developers Thousands
- Startups: Don’t Miss Out on R&D Tax Credit Payroll Benefit
- Kaufman Rossin Names Director for Expanding R&D Tax and Cost Segregation Services
- Successful Strategies for Startups: Q&A on New R&D Tax Regulations
- R&D Tax Update: New Opportunities for Businesses
- New Rules Make It Easier to Claim R&D Tax Credit for Software
- Startups Can Now Benefit from the R&D Tax Credit
- Potential Changes to R&D Tax Credit Could Spill New Benefits for Startups
- IRS Proposes New R&D Tax Rules for Internal-Use Software
- Court: Business Doesn't Have to 'Reinvent the Wheel' for R&D Tax Credit
- New Rules for Section 174 Research and Experimentation Expenditures
- Louis-Olivier Guay Joins Kaufman Rossin as Tax Manager