Carlos A. Somoza leads Kaufman Rossin’s international tax services practice. He has more than 25 years of experience in federal income, gift and estate taxation. He has served clients in the private and public industries, advising them in the areas of international taxation, estate planning, taxable acquisitions and tax-free reorganizations, IRS litigation and the related tax compliance.
Carlos is involved with Florida International University, serving as the Chair of the FIU Honors College Advisory Board. He serves as the Vice Chair of the Praxity North American International Tax Working Group. Carlos is also involved with Christopher Columbus High School, serving as a member in its Alumni Association Committee.
Finally, Carlos has been involved with the Miami-Dade Legal Aid “Put Something Back” program, offering legal and tax services to indigent clients. He is fluent in English and Spanish.
Bachelor of Science, Accounting, Florida International University
Master of Laws, Taxation, University of Miami
Juris Doctor, University of Miami
- Served on panel "Export Like a Pro", US-Caribbean Business Conference organized by the South Florida District Export Counsel, 2022
- "International Outbound Taxation", Florida Bar/Florida AICPA 7th Annual International Tax Conference Boot Camp, 2022
- Moderator of "Current Issues Facing Investors into the United States", Praxity North American International Tax Conference , 2021
- The New Foreign Tax Credit Regime, Praxity North American International Tax Conference, 2020
- Export Tax Incentives Applicable to the Aviation Industry, National Association of Credit Managers – Aviation in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, 2020
- Doing Business in Latin America, Praxity North American Tax Conference in Phoenix, AZ, 2019
- Update on Outbound International Tax Compliance, Praxity North American Tax Conference in Phoenix, AZ, 2019
- Doing Business in Florida, Florida Chamber of Commerce, 2019
- “Global Intangible Low Taxed Income: Am I?”, Praxity North American Tax Conference in Chicago, IL, 2018
- “How New Tax Laws Are Affecting U.S. Exporters”, Export Business Forum at Florida International University, 2018
- “Considerations for Privately Owned Businesses Expanding into or from the United States”, United States – Mexico Chamber of Commerce, 2018
- “How to Invest in the United States”, Quebec-Florida Chamber of Commerce, 2018